Besides these bus systems, there are also several manufacturer-specific bus systems available on the market. With regard to residential buildings, EIB has gained a significantly larger share of the market. EIB offers several advantages compared to other solutions.
• The EIB system is a standardized communications platform.
• About 5000 EIB products are available, produced by more than 100 manufacturers all over Europe.
• All EIB products comply with the current European provisions on safety and construction, and make use of the same communications protocol.
• Appliances with essential standard functions such as, for instance, switching, dimming, activating or controlling motors/actuators or transmitting values are supplied by various manufacturers for the EIB system.
• These devices share equal basic functions and they are interchangeable.
• On a European level, there are six accredited test laboratories, which are authorized to inspect the supplied products' conformity. Having successfully passed the inspection, the tested products will receive the Certificate of Conformity, which entitles manufacturers to apply the EIB trademark to their respective products.
• As a result, products and systems are obtained that are compatible and interoperable, constructed to meet the requirements and abilities of trades and craftsmen.
• More than 50 certified or registered EIB training centres all over Europe provide standardized training for EIB users, adapted to the needs of the trades.
• The standardized EIB tool software (ETS) is used for designing the project and for putting EIB into operation. Modules for diagnosis, detection of faults and project management are integrated.
• EIB is an open system; it is understood, accepted and installed by the representatives of the crafts and trades.
• Buildings that were correctly equipped with building automation systems will present an 'integrated technical system' to the user; they are a 'homogeneous system' with regard to planning, warranty, operation and scope of functions.
Was this article helpful?